Friday 17 January 2014

Yggdrasil

Tomorrow sees the opening of my first solo exhibition at the  Mustard Gallery,Langholm. Entitled 'Yggdrasil',the body of work is inspired by my trip to the Orkney Islands and Norse mythology.
The latest piece that I completed is called 'A Time to Keep'-named after a book by George Mackay Brown,the Islands best known author and poet.




This is a detail of the scrolls -using paper,mod-roc,thread,acrylic ink and paint on a background of mod-roc,hessian and handmade paper……

On the right-hand side is my artistic interpretation of a Norse calendar stick. It's based on a long brown stick spotted in Skaill House-adjacent to Skara Brae .It was carved with runes and symbols indicating the annual festivals.
The background is again mod-roc with fragments of burnt paper symbolic of the rise of Christianity and the demise of the old beliefs in the 11th century.




'A Time to Keep'
Boxwork
36 x 36cm
Mixed media

Tomorrow I'll be at the gallery from 10am to discuss and demonstrate my work-something I'm really looking forward to.
Righto,off to finish packing my bags…..

Cut the Mustard Gallery
52 High St
Langholm
DG13 0JH
mustardgallery@gmail.com
013873 81180




No comments:

Post a Comment