Thursday 20 June 2013

Layers....

Over the last few weeks I've been gathering ideas for more collage work. It was interesting at Spring Fling to have the opportunity to discuss techniques I use. Often I do things and while it may be noted in a sketchbook or journal,discussing it with someone makes me question and have a deeper understanding of what I'm doing and what I'm trying to achieve.

Working in mixed media allows for exploration  of a number of elements which will form the finished piece such as the media to be used utilising different techniques to explore  the surface,form,texture and colour.

When working on a piece some pieces just 'work' -collage is one of those techniques that I really enjoy.It can be daunting-composition ,materials,size -all require questioning.At university I used small canvases to produce studies for the finished piece. During my pre-Spring Fling clear-out some work was thrown out as it is impossible to keep hold of everything. This small study remains as I can't bear to part  with it.It uses the strata of rocks simultaneously with the lines of music and photographs symbolic of layers of memories......

    

No comments:

Post a Comment