Thursday 16 May 2013

Echoes of existence.....

My sketchbooks that are full of experiments hold a number of collages as part of the mark-making process.There is something about developing relationships between colours,edges,textures and shapes.

I decided to revisit collage using really thick watercolour paper as the support .This piece is symbolic with the dot that I have used on canvas reappearing ,the burnt pages of a book that refers to the bible. This signifies when Christianity came to Scandinavia  and  pagan worship and Norse mythology fell from favour.The layers of paper and fabric ,slightly obscuring some of the images reflects the passing of time and the echoes of existence of people from another age.  

The piece is folded like an accordian however for presentation I am going to separate the three pieces into a triptych.I feel I shall be doing more of these and working them into box works....



'Echoes of existence'
Collage on watercolour paper

No comments:

Post a Comment