Tuesday 7 May 2013

Sketchbooks & Scribbles....

We managed to squeeze in a couple of days away in Yorkshire over the Bank Holiday-helped by the fact that Scottish schools had 2 days off....
The sun shone-yes,on a Bank Holiday-two words not normally mentioned in the same sentence!The children played down by the river and it was just great to be able to relax in the warmth for a change....Breakfast and lunch out on the decking...and chance to reflect on my sketchbooks.

I keep a growing collection of sketchbooks in which I capture ideas,thoughts,techniques,quotes,experiments etc. One journal I use primarily for writing in-and others for mark-making. What I've done over the last couple of days is go through a pile of my written journals and some sketchbooks -capturing ideas that continue to interest me and may appear in some format in new work. This time those ideas have been put into thumbnail sketches in an A4 sketchbook....


 
These sketches are from my Orkney sketchbook.....


These pages are slightly more chaotic and include quotes,rock art ,symbols and ideas......They'll be used as a concise reference and also as a reminder of ideas for pieces that come ...and go if they are not captured........ 

No comments:

Post a Comment